Mark Rimmell (markrimmell) wrote,
Mark Rimmell

  • Mood:

The products of today's labour

Drive shafts

Two drive shaft ends, machined down to fit into the bearings and sprockets.
Turning steel seemed like really hard work by comparison to my recent jobs machining plastic. However after the first one I was back in the "zone" and the second one was much easier. Two done and six more to make. But I'll just do the next two, prove the theory, and if it works I'll start on the second lift. I expect by the time I've finished this project I'll be wondering why I made such a big deal about such a simple bit of machining, but right now I feel like making a song and dance about it because they are the first metal components I've made on a lathe in a very, very long time, and the first I've made on my own lathe.

On Friday I went to the model engineer exhibition and picked up a few bargains. Best buy of the day was a cordless electric screwdriver and matching jigsaw, got the pair of them for £3! So I have two electric motors for £1.50 each. If I can sell the rechargeable batteries, that came with them on ebay for £3... I'll have got the motors for free. Hopefully both motors will have enough "poke" to power the lifts... Watch this space.

Now I have to calculate guess the amount of thermal expansion I need to press fit the sprocket wheels to the above drive shafts. Although I keep thinking for the sake of future maintenance I should probably fit the sprockets with grub-screws. 

  • Second Bedroom Work Continues

    I'm looking forward to the day when I can return to this post and think to myself "I'm glad that's all finished". Maybe that…

  • Plastered.

    I have difficulty allowing others to work on my house. I find it very stressful getting tradespeople in. The usual conversation when discussing the…

  • Can sleep....

    This has always been a problem for me. Back in 2002 when I started this LJ thing, I was having problems with insomnia. I was just checking some old…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.