|Time to catch-up
||[Apr. 29th, 2013|05:09 pm]
The last post was just after we squeezed a caravan into the garden. I've been asked how that went.|Saturday afternoon we got the caravan thus far, put the fence back, and decided to call it a day.
Sunday morning I was up at 7am and started clearing a path to the caravan's final resting place. At this point I still wasn't sure how we were going to get the caravan into the very tight spot in the corner of the garden. Rolling past the greenhouse was somewhat stressful, risk assessment at this point indicated danger of death if someone slipped and fell through the glass. I'm not a big fan of horticultural glass, way too breakable and it tends to break into dagger shaped shards.
The greenhouse hazard safely negotiated, we swung the caravan round 90 degrees and it then struck me that no amount of back and forth wiggling was going to get us closer to the fence, and in turn far enough away from the greenhouse to enable the caravan door to open. An opening door was considered sort of crucial in the whole "move the caravan into the garden" project. So... we had a coffee break and Simon came up with a cunning plan involving wooden planks and lard. We finished coffee and set to, jacked up one side of the caravan, measured the distance sideways the caravan had to travel, greased up a plank and the bottom of the tyre, lowered the caravan on to the plank and repeated the operation on the opposite side. With one person lifting the tow hitch it only took two of us pushing front and back to move the van sideways into place.
All that's needed now is to place some slabs for the stands to lower on to, move some plants from behind and put down some gravel then my work is done. Then it's over to the interior designer to create an amazing space for guests or me if I give-up my room to guests.
Actually thinking about it my work isn't done, I still have to sort out power and internet.
Talking of the greenhouse. Another little project I've been working on is a rain water irrigation system. I got two steel drums on ebay painted them dark green to blend in a little better than the bright blue they came in.
I'm waiting for some more fittings to arrive, but when finished the rain collected from the greenhouse roof will drip feed into the greenhouse and be directed to each plant by a system of hoses.