||[Jan. 31st, 2014|03:01 pm]
Work commenced on the next phase of the garage revamp this week.
I decided to have the 1970's London brick rendered. The other options would have been; knock it down and start again, or paint the brickwork. Neither appealed on grounds of cost or aesthetics. So a render with block-work design seems reasonably in period and way cheaper than a total rebuild.
To save money I cut the wood wood myself with help from Jem (thanks Jem). Total of 110 meters ripped at 22.5°. Probably the last job the table saw's last job before I gets a complete rebuild or sold.
Batons cut and fixed.
I got my favourite builder in to do the rendering, because this work is dangerously like plastering and I hate plastering. Added to my dislike of plastering, I'm really not keen on working outside in January.
Last look at those bricks.
The scratch coat goes on.
I think the garage has had more money spent on it than the rest of the house has since I bought it... so far.
In other news, the back box fell off the exhaust on my car this morning. More expense :-( It's probably going to cost about half what the car is worth.
Also this morning the garage door fell apart. I've fixed it for now but I think I need to get the garage door doctor out to look at it once the rest of the garage is done.
After dropping off the car at Kwik-Fit, I dropped in at solicitor to collect boring real-life grown-up paperwork stuff. Had a coffee at the antique / junk shop café and read boring real-life grown-up paperwork stuff.
Now I'm waiting for Kwik-Fit to call, hopefully to say "Job done, come get".